Cooking it 3 ways: Kalabasa (Squash)

Usually at the end of the fall season is the abundance of pumpkins and squash. This means that you can get these crops at a very good price. My stepmom gave me a bunch after her visit to the closing day of the farmers market. This makes me think of ways to cook it in a way that is pleasing to both the palate and the eyes.  So here are 3 ways of cooking squash (or kalabasa - in our language). 


First stop is the easy Creamy Kalabasa Soup. The sweetness and creaminess of the squash make it perfect for the warm weather. Best paired with crispy baguette or ciabatta baked with cheese.



Another option is to make an omelet made of grated squash. In Filipino, we call it tortang kalabasa. I served it paired with our staple food - rice (white and red combined) with a side of pickled pepper and ketchup dip. Perfect for breakfast.



And finally, my kids favorite is the cheese filled kalabasa balls. I made this and they just ate it as snacks. 

Comments