Purple Yam (Ube) Creamcheese Pie


I love anything ube sweets. Whenever I crave for sweets I would ask my husband to buy me the ube cake in Filipino store which he lovingly obliges all the time. I thought maybe I can recreate the ube cake so I can control the amount of sweetness but looking at the recipes online makes me lazy as it requires a lot of work and behind my mind, I have this little bit of doubt that it might take me a while to perfect it. So instead of taking the chance at making ube cake, I decided why not make an easy pie cake out of it. And it is a good excuse for me to finally use the pie crust and tart crust I have in my fridge for a while. I am glad I did as it turns out to be really delicious and this would be my next potluck food to bring to gatherings. Here's what I used for this recipe.



1 pack of thawed grated purple yam
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cream cheese ( 375 g)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 can condensed milk
3 eggs
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp ube halaya
a little bit of lemon extract or lemon zest (i don't have lemon so I used the extract)
2 pie crust shells  plus in this recipe I also used the tart crust

Not in the picture: I decided to add later are:
1 pack of whip cream, 1/4 cup milk and vanilla extract to make the frosting with combine red and blue food colouring.

Here's how I put it together:

  •  After the frozen grated purple yam or ube is completely thawed, steam it for about 15 minutes. Add a little butter and mashed it to come into soft mushy consistency. I added food coloring to make it more vibrant. Then set it aside.
  • In the mixer, add butter, cream cheese and sugar and mix it for about two minutes until its almost homogeneous. Then slowly incorporate the condensed milk. Add the eggs one at a time and vanilla & lemon extract and finally mix in the prepared ube or purple yam. I added 3 tbsp of ube halaya for added flavor.
  • Prepare the crust according to box instruction, when it is ready, pour in the ube filling and bake in pre-heated 350 degrees oven for 20-25 minutes. Let it cool.
  • At first glance, when It was done, it looked dry but when I tried to slice it, it is very soft and moist inside. So I decided to whipped toppings so it will look more delicious as it is. I used simple whip cream box and added food coloring to match with the filling.

What would I do to make this recipe better? 
1. First I would try to find and use an ube extract for added flavor and more vibrant color. Hopefully, there is one in Filipino stores.
2. I would just use 2 pie crust for the recipe. I was hesitant to put more filling as I don't want it to overflow but it actually shrinks back after it cooled down. 
3. Finally, I might want to try cream cheese frosting for the toppings next time. 

And as usual, my critics devoured it with their big appetite. I just love cooking for them. 



Comments