Kale & Tumeric Rice


In the attempt to make a healthier choice in food, I made this simple recipe that fills our satisfaction as rice eaters without compromising the healthy part. I made my own combination of multigrain rice as an alternative to the basic white rice which consists of the following:


1 parts brown rice
1parts red rice
1 part white rice
2 parts barley
1 part quinoa
1 part lentils (red& green)
1 part flaxseed

Barley is a very good source of fiber and helps lower cholesterol. While flaxseed is a great antioxidant. Not to mention the goodness of quinoa who is making trends on healthy dish option these days, which is not only high in fiber but also a good source of protein. So this is really a good option than the plain white rice.

For this recipe, I cooked 3 cups of multigrain rice the same way I cooked my regular rice in the rice cooker. When it was done, I transferred it in a bowl to let the heat evaporate so it won't be sticky.

Here are the ingredients:




5 cups cooked multigrain rice
3 cups chopped kale
1 cup of mushroom (better if using fresh but I don't have one so I used canned mushroom)
1 small diced onion
3 cloves chopped garlic
4 tsp turmeric powder
4 tsp parsley
olive oil
butter ( about 1/4 cup)
salt & pepper to taste

In a skillet, heat butter and oil. Sautee onion and garlic. Add the kale and let it cooked for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add a little bit of olive oil as you go along depending on how much the kale would absorb as it can sometimes get too dry. Add in mushroom, then the rice and turmeric. Seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. I added a little bit of parsley for its aroma. And that's it. Very simple and very easy yet totally a healthy.

You may play around and add protein like shrimp or chicken and may add other seasonings like hoisin or chicken bouillon. It really depends on your liking. No fast and straight rule. Just cookin' with love.  Serve and enjoy.





Comments