Carrot & Walnut Waffles


This Saturday was a no plan weekend since the head of the house is out of the country for work, so we are all stuck at home. It's a good day to bond in the kitchen with the kids, so today we are making waffles for brunch. Inspired by my fave #TheDomesticGeek, this is my take on her version of carrot cake waffles. Although I am making a substitution on most of the ingredients as to whatever was available in our pantry, it still turns out delicious. I just realized looking back at the domestic geek's video that I forgot to add cinnamon, it would have added more yumminess to what is already a munchable delight. Anyway, here's what I put together:

Wet Ingredients:
  • 2 cups milk 
  • 1/4 cup greek yogurt 
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 tbsp melted butter or margarine
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

 Dry Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
For added delight:
  • 1 1/2 cup of grated carrots
  • 1/4 cup of walnuts
  • 2 tbsp of chia seed






I added a tad bit of chia seeds for extra protein & fiber, although I realized 2 tbsp looks like its nothing so it's up to your preference if you want more. I am thinking the next time I'm cooking this I would double up the portion of the chia seed or if not triple it. :-)

The original recipe calls for buttermilk instead of regular milk but since I don't have one in the fridge, I used regular milk plus Greek yogurt. Also, pecan would be a tastier choice but again that is not something that I have at the moment nevertheless walnuts save the day and I did not regret using it as the crunch makes it more exciting in each bite.

Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately first, then gently add it together whisking it until all the lumps are gone. Add the carrots, walnuts and the chia seeds. Heat your waffle maker (a waffle maker is needed for making waffle - of course! but if you don't have one, I'm sure cooking it straight to a non-stick pan is not a problem, you'll just have to make sure you get the right temperature and timing as the waffle maker is doing that for me.) Spoon 1 cup at a time and drop it in the center of the waffle maker and let it do the magic. When it beeps it is done. Simple.


I stacked it together and added a scoop of greek yogurt on top circled with raspberries and drizzled it with syrup for sweetness. Finally, before munching it down, the final input is the picture taking ;-). Hope this will add to you cook list :-).


#madewithpassionservedwithlove #carmelscuisine #waffles


Comments